Landlords, your PAN number is required

Whether you are an NRI or not, your PAN needs to be furnished if you fit the following criteria…

1. If your tenant is using HRA (House Rent Allowance) from his company AND
2. If your rent is more than 1 lakh per year

When a tenant claiming HRA rents a house, their company furnishes a form which asks for landlord’s name, contact, PAN number and other pertinent details. If the landlord does not have a PAN, they ask you to declare as such.

For the complete article, check out the Mint (A WSJ partner) article

Comments are closed.